Saturday, October 16, 2010

Full of Culture by Mary

Culture is something I have always been interested in studying. While in Africa, we have had the opportunity to take many classes, meet many people, and see from afar the culture around us. This past week I was welcomed into the home of a Muslim family where I experienced the culture like never before.

The first thing our host said when I stepped into her lovely home was that I was now one of her daughters. She has three children, and they were all so much fun and made sure to include me in everything. The second day I was there our host let me help her cook and make bread that we took to the community oven to be baked. Meal time is something that is very important in this culture. Apparently the guest is expected to eat until they explode because every meal all I heard was “cooli, cooli, cooli,” which is “eat” in Arabic. I know for a fact that I gained at least five pounds in five days. I actually forgot what it felt like to be hungry.

One of the things that stuck out most to me about their culture was when I asked our host where her husband was. She told me that he was on Hajj. It was the third time in his life that he had made the pilgrimage to Mecca. This is amazing because you only are required to make it one time if you are able. The fact that he has done this pilgrimage three times makes him “extra holy.” She was so proud of him and you could tell that she was filled with love when she told me the story. It broke my heart to know that these people, who I have grown close to, hold on tight to a truth that will not save them. I remembering trying to go to sleep one night just begging God to somehow show them the truth. It is hard to grow close to people and share life with them knowing that they are missing the one thing that gives them true life, Jesus.

Please remember my Muslim family in your prayers. Specifically ask that God will reveal truth to them in a culturally relevant way.

God has revealed many things to me through this experience. The main insight He hit me with is that living as Christ does not mean we have to try our hardest to act more like Him every day. It literally means that we have to die to self and allow Him to live in us. To be a vessel is the greatest honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment