Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What Made You Want to Travel to the 1040 Window? By Jennifer

What made me want to travel to the 1040 window was when I became educated about what the window represented. I learned through my friends in college that there are still places that have never heard the name of Jesus, and that as his followers, it is our calling to go to them and spread the gospel. This became reinforced more and more as I spent time with my best friend and my church. After attending the Passion conference in Atlanta, GA in 2006, I decided missions was exactly what I must pursue, but I had no clue of life outside the US. I found out about Cafe 1040 and how the program is designed to not only expose people like me to life inside a window country, but offer training and a chance to tear down any obstacles.

In the Spring of 2010, I was able to experience life as a missionary on the other side of the world. I arrived with expectations regarding the food, culture, and even every day life. Overall, I was surprised almost daily. I never thought I would enjoy going to an open air market so much, or even get a small thrill out of bargaining with the sellers. When you walk down the street, everyone welcomes you and says "hello," or even invites you inside their home. One of the lessons I learned is to shed my expectations of what may or may not be, and learn to live in the moment.

Through my time away from my family, close friends, and comfort food, I was stripped of all the things I depended on outside of God. It was my time to get real about my view of who He was and liberate myself from my idols. Life overseas is not easy, but the change in me from understanding that God is good, and that I can trust Him, was alone worth the struggles. I am still working out my faith and the same lessons back home, but my view of who my Father is and who I am has changed.



-Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment